Through our partnership with the Rho Mu Omega chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, College Bound offers their signature program, ASCEND, to our students. This program is designed to motivate, engage and assist high school students in reaching their maximum potential. ASCEND focuses on Achievement, Self-Awareness, Communication, Engagement, Networking, and Developmental Skills. Students in the ASCEND Program have the opportunity to receive additional academic enrichment and life skills training to support their journey to college. ASCEND holds meetings on the second Tuesday of the month for 2-3 hours at the College Bound office.
In January 2016, Rho Mu Omega Chapter, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated launched ASCEND Cycle 2. Over the past 6 months, nearly 20 students have participated in monthly sessions focusing on various topics.
These sessions included workshops on
• Decision making and identity
• SMART/STEM discussion and an activity reflecting on engineering through the hot chocolate experiment
• UN Model classroom activities that included a robust discussion on climate change, understanding how countries make decisions, and how delegates present their positions to the United Nations
• They’ve explored careers and creating resumes during the Career Development workshop. Students developed position statements to include their strengths, accomplishments, and how to highlight organization affiliations and clubs, as well as volunteer experience. They also gained a personal perspective on careers in government and public administration and how one’s career can take many paths.
• They adopted Bright Beginnings as their community service mission. Students prepared and donated a total 160 goodie bags filled with bubbles, books, chalk and crayons
• Students created cultural passports by visiting 3 local historical sites and creating a one page narrative. This project was designed to provide an active learning experience outside of the classroom